The Model School views its relationship with parents as a partnership. We have a wonderful proactive parents’ group and a real sense of community. We cherish parent participation and involvement and offer a variety of opportunities. We also accept ideas and suggestions for participation and involvement. Activities include discussion groups, workshops and training sessions, volunteering in the classroom and on field trips, work projects around the school, work day week ends, fundraising, participation in the selection of key staff persons and work with any of the parents’ group committees.
Have a questions or feedback? Contact the Parent’s Group president: Ana Tellez.
The Parents’ Group sponsors a Parent Participation Program. Each two-parent family is expected to contribute 12 hours of volunteer service per year and each single parent family is expected to contribute six hours of volunteer work per year. Families who do not contribute their required hours may “buy out” their unworked hours at an hourly rate to be determined each year by the Parents’ Group.
Monthly Parents Group meetings
- The Parents Group typically meets on the first Wednesday of the month (except for July and August) from 6 to 7 pm in the PreK2 room.
- Childcare is available for $5 per child, and pizza dinner is provided for both kids and parents.
- These meetings are a great way to meet other parents and get involved with the school.
- Attending a monthly meeting counts towards 1 Parent Hour per family.
Don’t be left out of the conversation! Join the discussion on our Parent’s Google Group.
Our Parent’s Google Group is a great way for parents to find out what’s happening outside of monthly meetings. Click HERE to sign up to our Parent’s Google Group so you can receive updates and post messages.
Parents are encouraged to talk to the teachers, the director and the parent’s group co-presidents about ways they can help, and to check the parents’ bulletin board to learn about tasks that need to be done.
Do you want to get involved? Here are a few ways to become an active community member:
- Volunteer to help on a committee, with a school activity or as a room parent volunteer. Contact president Ana Tellez if you are interested.
- Teacher Appreciation Day: Each Wednesday one family volunteers to bring breakfast for the teachers. This is a great way to earn parent participation hours. The sign up sheet is on the wall across from the infant room doorway. Check the Parent Board for more information.
- Check our our Support page for more ways to give back to the school.
Things will go smoothly at school, and the staff will be most appreciative if parents follow these simple guidelines:
- Attend monthly parent meetings.
- Maintain a change of clothing at school and label outer clothing, such as jackets and sweaters.
- Parents of infants must keep a supply of the child’s milk or formula, food, diapers and changes of clothes at school.
- Parents of infants and toddlers must also label bottles and cups with the child’s name.
- Keep the school informed about any problems or special circumstances which could adversely affect the child’s progress and/or behavior at school.
- Read and respond promptly to all notices sent home from school.
- Do not permit children to bring either valuable or dangerous items from home to school. The school cannot assume responsibility for valuable items, and we have a policy against dangerous items including play weapons of any kind.
- Participate in formal parent conferences as scheduled and inform the teacher or the director whenever there is a concern. A parent may request a conference at any time.
- Watch for articles brought home from school and see that they are returned. There are, in our classrooms, many small attractive items which children are sometimes tempted to take home in their pockets These items are very important to the completeness and maintenance of the learning environment. Should your child yield to this temptation, please remind him or her that the item needs to be in the classroom and have it returned. The teacher will be grateful and understanding.